World Words is a MotherTongues app available in the Apple app store for iPhone and iPad, and it is free!
Ten reasons you will love the free World Words word-a-day app:
- Learn a new difficult-to-translate, life-affirming word every day.
- Deepen your sense of well-being, community, peace and justice.
- Hear a native speaker audio pronunciation for most words.
- Share your favorite words via Facebook, Twitter, email or text - easily!
- No internet connection needed after the download - the words are contained in the app.
- No ads!
- Set push notifications and the time of day to be notified of the new word-of-the-day.
- Scroll through previous words.
- Bookmark to save your favorite words.
- Learn the meaning of the word in English, the language it is from, and the country where it is spoken.
I have consulted the following books and websites to find the words for World Words, in addition to many friends around the world! I always tried to find multiple sources to double check the meaning, spelling, etc., but please let me know at mothertongues(at)mothertongues(dot)com if you find an error or something I can add! New words are always welcome and will be added in an update. If you know the pronunciation of a word in World Words that isn't yet pronounced in the app, please add the pronunciation at www.Forvo.com and I will be able to add it in the app. Thank you/Dankie/Gracias/Obrigado!
- In Other Words: A Language Lover's Guide to the Most Intriguing Words around the World, by C. J. Moore
- They Have a Word for It: A Lighthearted Lexicon of Untranslatable Words & Phrases, by Howard Rheingold
- The Meaning of Tingo: and Other Extraordinary Words from Around the World, by Adam Jacot de Boinod
- That's Amore!: The Language of Love for Lovers of Language, by Erin McKean
- Lost in Translation: A Life in a New Language, by Eva Hoffman
- http://www.forvo.com (for pronunciations)
Download World Words today!